POEM: Rock-A-Bye, Baby


I wrote this as part of a folio at the end of high school. It's from the POV of a little girl on the organ donor list. She's working through her experience using a narrative she knows: nursery rhymes.

Rock-A-Bye, Baby
by Bethany Frith

My name is on a list:
A long list of life and death.
I’m not the only girl with a broken heart
And daddy is not the only man.
My heart is breaking down.
Breaking down
And bleeding out.
They tried to build me up with
Blood and bone.
But maybe sticks and stones
Could save me.
All the king’s horses and all the king’s men,
All the doctors, nurses and medicine
Can’t put Baby together again.
I’ll join the white coats and ghosts
That walk these halls.
What will daddy do
When he’s left behind?
His baby is broken,
He needs someone new.
I think daddy is scared
I’m running out of time.
The clocks run away
And leave me behind.
‘Tick-tock’ too quick.
Tick-tock.
Hickory-dickory-dock.
It’s far too early yet, but
Here comes a candle
To light me to bed.
Ashes! Ashes!
We all fall down.




frithington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.